Civil Unions


The Civil Union Act (effective from December 2006) allows anyone – regardless of their sexual orientation – to marry either through a civil union, a civil marriage or a customary marriage.

As a Christian church, we believe that the couple entering into a civil union requires at least one counseling session with on of our pastors.

Civil unions may be conducted by:

  • Designated marriage officers for specific religious denominations or organisations
  • Designated officers employed by the Department of Home Affairs and the Magistrates’ Courts

At least two competent witnesses must be present at the ceremony.

What do I need in order to register a Civil Union?

  • Both persons must be 18 years or older to enter into a Civil Union
  • Both persons may not be already married in terms of any other Act.


  • Valid South African identity books/smart cards for both persons entering into the Civil Union
  • A valid passport if one of the partners is a foreign national
  • Divorce or death certificates of previous marriage(s) (where applicable); these must be certified copies of the original documents.

If any of the required documentation cannot be produced, one of the partners must submit an affidavit confirming the documents cannot be made available for the purpose of concluding the Civil Union.


Legal Contract

NB: Please discuss the legal contract that you wish to enter into for marriage with your spouse to be prior to signing the registers on your wedding day. The reason for this is that according to law, the couple marries by default into “Community of Property”, which is legally assumed on the signing of the registers. If an Antenuptial Contract (ANC) is preferred, this must be done prior to the signing of the registers.